30.6.09

Food and language

Those are the two big subjects that I feel I have yet to address since I started writing in my blog. I have no way to get pictures from my camera yet, so I'm not going to let you share my experience of scaling a segment of the great wall, which incidentally was awesome in the old sense of the word.

The single best thing I have tasted here is...nan. What? Seriously? That's not even Chinese! Well, I'm not going to let you in on the details until my computer gets fixed (which could potentially be as soon as the next couple of days, although don't count on it). But the single tastiest item, definitely reflective of my personal food tastes, might be a loaf of nan from the on-campus Muslim restaurant. You'll enjoy the details when I post them.

Using various averages from mathematics, I'll tell you that the mean of my meal prices is probably around 15, the median is probably around 10 or so and the mode is definitely 7 or 8. Kuai, that is. It might be a little confusing why I call them kuai when the official currency of China is the renminbi - you need to understand a little bit about the Chinese language first, but yeah, they're the same thing. Anyway, the exchange rate is about 7 to 1, which should tell you about everything you need to know. The food in this neighborhood is truly dirt cheap, and it's hardly anomalous - I'm sure that there are neighborhoods in beijing where you could eat expensive food, but I suspect that compared to, say, a town outside of beijing, I'm paying what would be considered a premium. Snack food is everywhere for cheap. An ice cream bar costs about 2 or 3 kuai, leading to a serious ice cream habit on my end (I try not to eat one every day). From there on there are baozi, jianbing, jiaozi, kababs, pretty much anything you can imagine. There are tons of street-side stands - I was worried that it wouldn't be the case, that beijing would be a little too xiandai (modernized) but for all that the new buildings are going up in droves, at least in this part of town folks are always out on the streets, hawking books, shady looking meat, rubik's cubes, clothing...at night the salesfolk swarm in and the sidewalk is swathed in towels loaded with junky merchandise, dresses, purses, boxers, shenme de (etc.).

In any case. I promised to talk about food, so back to the subject. There's a bunch of different restaurants on campus - it's much less of a, for want of a better term, potemkin campus like yale is. the word has significant negative connotations, so I'll clarify by saying that yale owns almost every building within a close distance of campus and leases them based on its needs and desires, trying to create a cohesive image. I've never been 100% comfortable about that being the case. Anyway, the tradeoff is beiyu's (BLCU's) campus, where a significant amount of buildings appear to be owned by other folks, and it's not clear if leasing goes on or not. There's at least one KTV (karaoke) place on campus, a few different restaurants, including the aforementioned muslim one, and so on. However, there is also at least one dirt cheap student cafeteria where I eat almost every day. A trek to the second floor reveals a bunch of tiny little places that are essentially fast food - go up to the window, order, two minutes later get your food and sit down at one of the 8-person tables with your cohort. Except that all the dishes are actually jiachang-style - family kitchen, your chinese golden oldies of sorts. you can get a mapodoufu, gongbaojiding, or just plain old noodles, throwing in a rice or a hard-boiled egg for one kuai each. And really, though the food is laden in grease, it is quite good, a lot better than other greasy cafeteria fare I've had in my life.

When going further afield, well, to be honest, I have yet to do so that much. But there's a lot to be had. You can go to further hole-in-the-wall type joints, as I did today, where a meal is unlikely to be much more than 15 kuai for a serious amount of food. Even these places are an upgrade over the cafeteria, though, because it's here that you start to be able to enjoy chinese food the way it's supposed to be - in a group, ordering a ton of dishes and splitting them all at once. I'm almost positive I like Asian-style eating better than the American equivalent. Rather than getting two or three courses, as well as the odd bite of a friend's food if they're feeling generous, if you go with like seven or eight people, you get to eat five or six different dishes, each with their own particular flavor! you can order things that complement each other, a soup, fish, one "ma" dish...

Right, I think I need to talk about ma. So, have you ever heard about Sichuanese food being particularly spicy? The trick is, yes, it absolutely is, but they also have a certain flavor completely missing from the west: ma. It is not an excess of spiciness, but rather a certain pepper that induces numbness in the tongue as you eat it - supposedly what fugu does, except that while you have to go to the most expensive place in new york city to try it in the states, every single self-respecting place in china has at least a mapodoufu - tofu drenched in spice and ma-inducing peppers, which sort of look like miniature twin cherries. It's essentially the craziest revelation ever to find out that there's a whole different world of flavor that you have never tried in the states that is, if not a staple of chinese food, then widely available.

So, beyond the world of mere chinese food, there are a lot of korean places around, as well as a fair number of muslim, japanese and american fast food places. KFC, mcdonalds and pizza hut are everywhere, though each actually has its own chinese name (kendeji, maidanglao and bishengke respectively...thank you, chinese class!) I had maybe the best expensive meal yet last night, at a korean place where we were served raw meat, which we put in a tilted metal slab so that the juices could drain off. the flavors were pretty astonishingly good, though at 35 kuai (5 bucks) it was one of the more expensive meals I've eaten here, maybe the most expensive.

I promise to start taking pictures of special meals once my laptop gets working.

Shoot, I don't have time to talk about the language. I am such a bad blogger. I'll get around to it, I promise. It will even be fun. But for now, the major update is that I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going to the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia, distinct from the actual country. We have a social study project to complete halfway through the program, and that's one of the locations available.There are also chances to go to a chinese village, shanghai, qingdao, chinese schools, a shaolin temple and a couple of others. Any of them would be amazing, and I'm tempted to check out the village, but I suspect that going to inner mongolia will be the most irreplaceable of the bunch.As well as making for some pretty crazy pictures, I hope.

In the very distant future, plans are starting to form in my mind for great adventures...so I ask a question that I expect no answer to: what's the best way to get from china to india? bear in mind that, as I just found out, the border is closed...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that food prices are holding steady. When we first present the Light budget to some students, they can't imagine that we're possibly even close to right with our per diem. Mostly they trust us, but we rely on info from blogs and other sources to stay current.

    Also: Inner Mongolia. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete