4.7.09

post of the time period

It's sort of hard to figure out exactly what to write when everytime I want to post I'm put on the spot with about twenty minutes to write down the things I've been stewing over for the last few days. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with our blogging prompts. what are you going to do.
 
The biggest thing on my mind is that, on and off, I'm starting to feel like I have some idea of what Iw ant to do with myself. Truth be told, if you'd asked me why I was here, the simplest answer would just be that I really like learning Chinese. But the more I'm around here, the more the puzzle pieces begin to interlock. Of course, it's often just a passing revelation and the next day I have no idea what I was thinking. But lately, I've been thinking that the best way to combine my interests might be to go to geophysics grad school, get involved in climate issues of some sort, and then try to get involved in a job in China with some sort of environmental capacity. The longer I'm here the more I am, first and foremost, blown away by how quickly life moves around here and how fast things are changing, and as a result just how much damage china's environment is taking. One of my teachers mentioned that when she was a kid, the city centers were all cooler than they are now because widespread use of air conditioners has raised the ambient temperature. We're talking about a country that is developing rampantly, and will continue to do so even as shanghai and beijing settle down, thanks to the "Develop the west" campaign. If there is a battle against global warming to be won, it will be here in China. So why not try to get involved?
 
Beyond that, I've mostly been musing about the places I want to go. Last night, I didn't sleep too much because I postponed studying for my test, instead reading my china lonely planet, courtesy of the kind folks at light. For any of you who have ever read my travel blogs in the past (maybe two of you, but then again there are about five people reading this, so there) I actually dislike using guides to navigate once I get somewhere. But this one's a little different, because its pages contain hundreds of cities I had never even heard of, but now get to contemplate visiting, a distant fantasy in case the fellowship money lasts. Did you know there's an actual town called Shangri-la in China? Some enterprising local politicians in Yunnan renamed their city in a bid to draw more tourists.
 
Trips that I've contemplated: trying to go to korea by boat to meet up with jason kb, going to qufu, confucius's home (this one I expect to happen), getting to india by going through tibet and nepal, traveling to western sichuan, going to inner mongolia...except that the last one is really going to happen!
 

1 comment:

  1. "So why not try to get involved?"

    I love seeing you think about some new possibilities. Awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete